Thursday, August 27, 2009

Baby Making Music

So when you hear the term "baby making music" what do you think of? Maybe some Marvin Gaye or Boyz II Men, perhaps some Alicia Keys? Well those are all good answers, but I'm not talking about that kind of baby making. C'mon, we're 8 months pregnant here, been there, done that. I'm talking about the music that's played during delivery. THAT kind of baby making music.

During our tour of Winnie Palmer, they said the delivery rooms have ipod jacks and DVD players. Since I can't imagine watching a movie during delivery, I immediately thought about music. I wondered what kind of music gets played in the delivery room. I picture most people playing soothing music like Yanni, Enya or Enigma. I'm sure there are others who want Metallica, AC/DC or Lynyrd Skynyrd. I'm willing to bet that nurses give each other "the look" when certain songs come on. I'd love to ask what some of the more outrageous songs they've heard during delivery are, but I'm sure I'll be a little pre-occupied with my son being born to remember. So, what will we play?

I've been thinking about it for a while, but now that there are only 30 days left, it's time for action. Allison is almost 36 weeks along, so she can really go anytime. That means it's time to get that playlist created. I'll side with the first group of people I mentioned. I'll take some Enya, Enigma or a Cirque de Solei soundtrack. Allison really likes Coldplay, Billy Joel and Brian Mcknight, so maybe some of that music should be on the playlist too.

Then I think to myself, while soothing, will that music get her pumped enough to give her that extra boost of adrenaline to push Baby C out? I'm going to list a few songs that should be on this playlist and you tell me yay or nay.

First up, Salt-n-Pepa - Push It. If there is a better song out there for delivering a baby, I don't know what it is. Just look at some of the lyrics "ooohh, ahhh, ssss, Push it!" and "Ooh baby, baby...baby, baby!" Are you kidding me? The video for this song should have been Salt, Pepa or Spinderella giving birth, but those black spandex pants and yellow jackets were pretty hot too. I won't insult you by putting a clip of "Push It" below, I truly hope everyone reading this blog knows that song. However, this song was in one of my favorite commercials and THAT is the clip below. Enjoy.


Next up are three songs that made movie montage magic. The first of the 3 is not as popular as the others, but it's just as good if not better. This song was on my running playlist when I ran my last 5K and it's just awesome. You'll recognize it as the fight theme from The Karate Kid. It's Joe Esposito - You're The Best. Now before you make that face...hear me out. My job as Allison's birthing partner is to encourage and support her. Let her know that she's doing a good job. What is better than the best? Nothing! So if this song comes on, it's 3 minutes of Allison being told she's the best around...nothing's ever gonna bring her down!


The next two, both by Survivor, both from Rocky movies. You guessed it Burning Heart and Eye of the Tiger. I dare you to listen to these songs and not get hyped! "In the warriors code theres no surrender, Though his body says stop, his spirit cries - never!" C'mon people! This is the perfect song! How many times have you heard the stories of women giving birth saying "No, I cant do it any more. I don't want to do it any more, can't he just stay in there?" It's perfect. Plus, I can just say 2 words to Allison, look her deep in her eyes and say "Warrior's Code" LOL I'm pretty sure if I say that, she's start swinging on me, so it's a good thing I just watched that Rocky montage.


And Eye of the Tiger. I don't need to say anything more about this song than Rocky 3. I think all of you know this song too, but I had to put it on here anyway.


This is an odd one, but watch this clip and if you don't get goosebumps, call 911 because you may be dead. The Chicago Bulls intro. My cousin Ray had this at his wedding. It was really cool. It's more of an introduction song than a delivery song, so maybe we can play it for visitors. Can you picture it...AAAAANNNNDDD NNNOOOOOWWWWW, from Central Florida..Baaaaaaaby CCCCCCC!!!! I don't know if I should do the smoke & strobe light, but the rest would be cool.


Let me try to regain my composure and be serious for a minute. I think songs like Europe-The Final Countdown, Queen - We are the Champions, Kanye West - Stronger, most songs by the Black Eyed Peas and the songs listed above have a place in the delivery room. Allison will probably kill me if any of those songs are actually played during delivery, but she'll be in labor, delivering Baby C and most likely already pissed at me. So what's a guy to do? (this is a good peak inside my mind. This is what runs through my head all day and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Scared yet???) By the end of this weekend I plan to have the playlist completed. The goal is to have Allison relaxed and focused during delivery and hopefully the music helps.

Since we are talking about music, can I tell you guys a secret? I've already started a playlist for Baby C. I have a piano tribute to Metallica and My Chemical Romance. Lullabye versions of Greenday, Nirvana, No Doubt, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica and The Beatles. I still want to add some kid favorites and classical music, but I haven't had the time. That's another task for this weekend.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't get to close to AC2 when you start singing along to those songs. She's libel to whack you.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails